Monday, April 30, 2012

Cikgu Jerry

           So today I woke up as usual, and up until the evening, everything is normal. But then I found out that I was accepted into an interview for a place in an IPG or maktab. So to be honest I wasn't truly excited but I have to say I'm glad that I was accepted because so many people applied for this and yet so many failed. The prospect of me being a teacher is not something that I am aiming but, then again, we can't expect anything in life. Who knows maybe 10 years from now I'll be known as Cikgu Jerry. Haha. I was offered the English subject, which I like and then I dislike (huh? how on earth?). Well I like English because it gives me the opportunity to express my feelings in a more fashionable way. And if I were to become a teacher I hope that I can instill the beauty in expressing feelings through English in my students. The vast ways of writing in English enables one to create his own way of writing thus exemplifying his feelings. That is why I prefer English novel rather than Malay novel (no offense to Bahasa Melayu but I have to be honest, sorry) because I can access the author's mind through his or her writing. So I hope as a teacher (if I were to become one that is) I would not do the same mistake as most of the English teachers in Malaysia do which is teaching for the sake of teaching. I mean, most of the English teachers now teach grammars and vocabularies to students without exposing them to the true beauty of English. They strictly follow reference books and textbooks until the students usage of English become almost machine-like, churning out words that they know in English but never truly 'loved' them. That is why some students' compositions are weak although they have a creative idea. They just cannot find the words in English to as I mentioned earlier exemplify further their ideas. All the words they knew are the words their teacher repeatedly say in class. Therefore, I say that teachers should broadened their scope of teaching English to students. They should explain to students why writing 'perpetually bereft of companionship' is better than 'forever alone' although they have the same meaning. How adding metaphors to sentences can really make a difference. Teach the students to 'love' English. HOWEVER, the reason I dislike English is quite an ironic one. Well it's VERY hard to teach someone English until they can 'love' it and transform it into into an art. I have the experience of teaching someone English and boy was it hard. I can't imagine teaching a whole class of them! But, as a teacher (again, if i become one) I will do my best to help my students. I really respect two of my English teachers when I was still in SMK which were Madam Dayang and Miss Jamalisah. They were the ones that truly teaches english for the sake of lovng English. So, thank you teachers. Well, I know God have planned me a great path in the future. And if by then I will be known as Cikgu Jerry, I will make sure that I 'll do everything that I wrote here today. So that's all, PEACE OUT! GBU!

1 comment:

Powered By Blogger